Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Scrumptious Asparagus

Oooh la la...I love asparagus. I nearly always roast it, but decided I needed to try something new today. I played around with some ingredients I had onhand, and truthfully, am quite pleased with the results. My kids, who are merely asparagus tolerators even gave it two thumbs up.

Scrumptious Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus, sliced into 1" pieces (skinny asparagus - none of the thick stuff)
1/4 c. red onion, diced
1 tsp. olive oil
1/3 c. sundried tomatoes, packed in olive oil, and chopped
1/4 c. feta cheese
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper

Heat oil in skillet. Add asparagus, onion, and tomatoes. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and asparagus slightly brown. Add 1/4 c. water to skillet, cover, and cook until asparagus is done (around 4 minutes?). Remove lid, and add feta and basil, plus salt and pepper to taste. Toasted pine nuts would also be really tasty, I would think...but I was out of those. Let me know if you try it with them, and if you think it works!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! Share your recipe for roasting asparagus, too. Most of our kids don't like it but Ray and I do, though we don't have it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks tasty! I'll have to try it. I like to make asparagus rafts and then put some toasted sesame oil on them and grill them. But it's not grilling season yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm making your scrumptious gyros on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I don't know if you remember me. I was a missionary in Fairfield a couple of years ago. I still remember your Ritz chicken and your adorable girls! If its okay I'd love to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete