Wednesday, June 16, 2010

He Matched!


Today we found out that John matched for his fellowship training. That means that in July 2011, he'll begin his final three years of specialization. He matched at Ohio State in Columbus. I'm still trying to process it all; I can't decide how I feel.

I know I'm happy that John gets to train where he really wanted to - an excellent program and super personality match for him. Yea for John; he finally gets to be a real Buckeye! And I really like Columbus - it has an awesome zoo (I love zoos!) and an affordable major airport, a temple, great park system, is close to Hocking Hills...it's a terrific city.

Another part of me feels really sad. Change and me are not good bedfellows. I thrive in a very boring, predicable, controlled environment. Several months ago, I (mostly) accepted it was most likely that we'd be moving for fellowship (NOT the original plan, mind you). But accepting the change, now that it's official, seems to be another matter, made more difficult by the fact that it's an entire year away (too early to actually plan for or do anything about the move, other than anticipate what it might, or might not, be like).

I hate to say goodbye to good friends (again), change schools (I can't say enough good things about our schools here), find somewhere new to live (buy? rent? and WHERE exactly?)...moving is hard on so many levels: new doctors, hair stylists, parks to find, friends to seek out, children to console as they, too, have to start over.

Then I remember that THIS IS IT - the final stretch in his training, and I remember that I should be very excited that we're this close to the end - and get to do it in such an exciting place - and I'm grateful.

Now you know. That's where we're going, and that's how I feel about it. So you decide - congrats or condolences?

11 comments:

  1. I'm gonna be selfish and tell you that I just wanna cry! Can John just commute? ha! jk
    I'm not even going to think about you moving for awhile.
    Okay, no more pity party...
    CONGRATULATIONS! It's going to be awesome to be this close to being D-O-N-E!
    Lots of prayers for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Part of me is happy for you (and John) but another part is just really sad that you're going to be moving. At least Columbus is close enough for a visit, and there's always the possibility of seeing you at the temple.
    Looks like we've got a year to fit in a game night or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's both. And I totally understand your mixed feelings. It's exciting and sad and completely convoluted!

    There are a lot of things you can't do yet, but if there are things on your "some day I'll get to that" list, start it now!! Start culling toys, clothes, etc now!! Do whatever you can to make the move next year easier!! :)

    Love you, Erin.

    I'm starting to feel like we started an exodus from the ward... though I guess Leslie and James really started it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to John, Sorry to Erin. Change is not my favorite, either. On the bright side, nothing cleans out the stuff like a move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. That is the wrong OSU.

    Wow, sigh, you guys have moved so many times, and I know how hard it is. I know nothing about Columbus, but if it has an "affordable major airport" does that mean you'll be coming to see us? Or how about we come to see you? :-) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's CONGRATS!!! You are going to do great. You are on the FINAL, HOME-STRETCH and that is the best news! I know how hard moving is and the anxieties that come with, but you can do this. You can do this! (See how selfless I'm being?? I haven't once mentioned how utterly sad I am going to be to see you leave...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to John, but I am sad that you guys have to pack up...again! Best of luck and maybe one day we will live a little closer to each other, until then I guess we will just have our yearly visits! We love you guys oodles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm terribly sad you are moving, but know how important it is for John to be in a good match. I wish you guys the best and will just have to enjoy your fabulousness as much as I can for the next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really sad to be losing yet another great family. I can't think too hard on the fact that all of our great families that have called FF home during med school, HAVE to leave us after only a few short years. I just try to think about how lucky I have been to have met you. Out of all the billions of people in this world, I was one of the lucky few to have been blessed to know you.
    Columbus does have many great things to offer. I know you will fall in love with the area and in those three short years be sad to say goodbye, yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't looked at blogs for awhile--and dang you can miss a lot. That is great and terrible at the same time. I will really miss you guys--I really hate change and exodus' of really great families. You are so fun and great that you could go anywhere and fit right in. I think I will just stay in denial for now though and pretend you guys are staying :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to you guys! The final stretch, right? That's a GOOD thing. You can make it.

    ReplyDelete