Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chap Chee for you and me

I wasn't going to post today. I feel like I've been an over-zealous poster lately, and I'm feeling kind of embarrassed about it. But I made this really scrumptious dinner last night, and thought you all needed to try it. I was going to save face and NOT include the recipe on my blog. And then lunchtime rolled around, I ate the leftovers and lost all willpower. You just MUST know about Chap Chee. It would be too unkind and selfish for me not to share it.

The recipe comes from Allrecipes. It's kind of a Korean-style low mein type dish: noodles, beef, and vegetables, with lots of flavor. You can look it up there for the original version, or just try mine. I doubled the recipe, plus added a little more or a little less of a few things. You decide how you like it. I'd show you what it looks like, but I didn't take a picture. That would be nice, I know, but since I don't hardly ever take pictures of my kids, I worry how they would feel if they saw me taking a picture of noodles. Anyhow, here is the recipe which you must try:

CHAP CHEE
for marinade, combine:
2 T. soy sauce
3 T. sesame oil
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 t. minced garlic
3 t. sesame seeds
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. pepper

Add 1 lb. top sirloin, thinly sliced, to marinade.
Cover, and let sit in fridge for a hour or more, or on your counter for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare remaining ingredients:
1 c. carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. napa cabbage, chopped
4 c. spinach, chopped
6 oz. cellophane noodles, cooked (appear similar to fettuccini; found in Asian food section)

Then the sauce:
5 T. soy sauce
2 1/2 t. sugar
1 1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

In wok or large skillet, brown beef in a few tablespoons vegetable oil. When evenly brown, add vegetables and noodles, then sauce. Heat through until warm. Add red pepper to taste (none for the kids, lots on mine).

If you try it and like it, let me know, and I'll come visit you for lunch. And if you try it and don't like it, let me know so I can come remove the offending food from your house. I'd be happy to help like that, cause I'm just so helpful, and it's just that good.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... that sounds good!! I need to print that out and try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! I think I'd like to hire you as my personal chef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would prefer if you make it and invite ME to lunch. ;) So much less work lol.
    It sounds D-LISH! Thanks for sharing and being so unselfish. :)
    I am not sure about the noodles having milk in them or not, but I love to try new recipes with no milk since Michael can't eat it. (can't eat milk that is...not that I make food he can't eat!) lol that sounded so wrong after I reread it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "taking pictures of noodles" part just about killed me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried it! Loved it! Even better as leftovers! I love finding recipes that are good leftovers. . . all the yumminess without the mess.

    ReplyDelete